Drone Technology Omar Abdulla B.Tech (MAE) – AUD5870 Semester 3 January 8, 2018 Contents· Introduction· Thetwo types of drones:· Sizes of drones · Features· Drones With Sensors· Drone Technologyprogress · Uses of Drones· Usage of drones over the years· Advantages · Disadvantages Abstract This term paper is about commercialand military drone technology. Its about how drones work and how they effectthe future by the technology and the progress they make in this earth and howcan we increase and make it a better place using the drone technology.
furthermore, the seven generations of drone technology well be shown also well be having some information about thecamera in the drone and how its connected to the pilot because is an aircraftwithout a human pilot on board for thatcameras must be fixed. Introduction What is a drone ?A drone, in a technological context, is an unmannedaircraft. Drones are more formally known as unmanned aerial vehicles(UAVs).
Essentially, a drone is aflying robot. The aircrafts may be remotely controlled or can flyautonomously through software-controlled flight plans in their systems working in connected with onboard sensors and GPS. The two types of drones:1. TheCommercial drone technology which is used for Aerial photography and filming One of the most popular drones onthe market is the DJI Phantom 3. Thisdrone was very popular with professional aerial cinematographers2. the military Drones are used in situations where mannedflight is considered too risky or difficult. They provide troops with a 24-hour”eye in the sky”, seven days a week.
Each aircraft can stayalert for up to 17 hours at a time,loitering over an area and sending back real-time imagery of activities on theground. Sizes of drones Drones come in a wide variety of sizes, with thelargest being mostly used for military purposes such as the Predator drone andto the smallest which is used for commercial · Theworld biggest drone weights 16,000 pounds and 44 feet long the Avenger is nowthe largest UAV in the U.S. arsenal Its Biggest and FastestArmed Drone Ever. · World’sSmallest FPV (first person view) Drone which has the size of 4.3cmx 4.3cm x 2.
5cm and weight less than a gram. Small DronesThe smallest size drones are mini drones. They can literally fit in thepalm of your hand, and some are even the size of a quarter. These drones rangein price from under $10 to over $60. Most are priced in the $15-$30 range theymost likely used in indoor areas Medium-Sized DronesA medium-sized drone is typically double the size of a miniature droneor bigger. These drones come with more power, larger propellers, and additionalfeatures.
Many also come with low-grade cameras for taking aerial photos andvideos.Professional-Grade DronesProfessionalpilots typically try to fly the best drones with the most advanced features. Commercial drones comein the largest sizes. They also come with advanced features, like autonomousflight modes, obstacle avoidance, on-the-fly camera setting adjustments, firstperson view, and a whole lot more. This gives a professional pilot lots of roomto get the best shots possible and be creative at the same time.
You can geta professionalquality drone for $500 all theway up to $13,000 or more for a custom rig. Features Radar Positioning, the flight radar displays the current position and location of the drone in relation to the pilot. Return Home, Exceeding the control range of the remote control will trigger a ‘Return-to-Home’ feature, meaning the UAV will automatically fly back to its takeoff point and land safely.· No Fly Zone DroneTechnology, in order to increase flight safety and prevent accidental flightsin restricted areas, the latest drones from DJI and other manufacturers includea “No Fly Zone” feature.
Drones With SensorsMultispectral,Lidar, Photogrammetry and Thermal vision sensors are now being used on dronesto provide 3D models of buildings and landscape; Digital Elevation Maps (DEMS)of land, and provide precision data on the health of crops, flowers, fauna,shrubs and trees.With Lidar and photogrammetry mapping, the dronewill be programmed to fly over an particular area using GPS waypointnavigation. The camera on the drone will take photographs at say 0.5 or 1second intervals. These photos are then stitched together usingspecialized software to create the 3D images.
– A multispectral image is onethat captures image data within specific wavelength ranges across theelectromagnetic spectrum- Lidar is a remote sensing method used to examine thesurface of the Earth.- Photogrammetry is the process of deriving metric information about an objectthrough measurement made on the photograph of the object.- Thermal vision sensors is essentially a heat sensor that iscapable of detecting tiny differences in temperature. The device collectsthe infrared radiation from objects in the scene and creates anelectronic image based on information aboutthe temperature differences.
Drone Technology progress Drone technology is constantly evolving, day byday drones are becoming more and more useful future of drones is getting betterand better, drone technology has seven potential generations.· Generation 1: basic aircraftwhich is remotely controlled.· Generation 2: better design, fixed cameras and manualpiloting control with also video recording camera. · Generation 3: HD video camerafixed, safety mode fixed, assisted drone control, two axis gimbals.· Generation 4: better videocamera 1080P HD, improved safety modes and improved obstacles avoidance,autopilot modes fixed, Three-axis gimbals.
· Generation 5: 4K camera video,intelligent piloting modes applied, 360° gimbals.· Generation 6: Professional camerasuitable for commercial but not fully suitable, automated safety modes withmore technology, fully automatic piloting.· Generation 7: fully suitablefor commercial, design with the lightest materials to be easier to flight, fullyand complete automatic safety modes, auto action (takeoff, land, and missionexecution) with one button. Uses of Drones · FishingDrone fishing may sound not possible at all , avideo was released a giant fish has beencaptured using a drone where they have placed their bait 100 meters off thebeach and many people had followed this trend due to that there’s now a dronemanufactured just for fishing called the AeroKontiki.
· SurfingThis has to be one of the coolest ways a dronehas ever been used. Freefly produces large drones that are waterproof and cancarry 20 pounds. These drones are manufactured for the media but instead ofcarrying a camera, their latest drone, ALTA 8, was outfitted with a rope topull a surfer. The drone costs $18,000 but definitely introduces a new way forsurfers that doesn’t depend on good waves. · Fire FightingFighting a raging fire is one of the toughest jobs in the public serviceworld. Firefighters are often forced to rush into a blaze, having no idea ofthe scope of it.
Lately, the use of drones by fire departments and policeagencies has grown across the globe. An aerial view from a drone helpfirefighters figure out the size of the fire and develop tactical methodsaccordingly. · Shipping/DeliveryDones can be used to deliver small packages,pizzas, letters, medicines, beverages etc. at short distances · Journalism,Filming and aerial photography Drones are starting to be used in sports photographyand cinematography. They were used in the 2014 WinterOlympics for filming skiingand snowboarding events due to difficulty in recording these kinds of sports. · uses of drone inancient architectural sitesDronescan be manufactured in very small sizes and due to this, drones can reachplaces humans cant.Asof right now, drones are being prepped to enter tight spaces into The PyramidsOf Giza so as to learn things of the Pyramids. We weren’t able to enter thisspace due to it being so small, but with the help of drones we can enter thisplace without causing any structural damage to the Pyramids.
Usage of drones over the years Over the past few years, drones have become centralto the functions of various businesses and governmental organizations. drones are proving to be extremely beneficial in places where man cannotreach or is unable to perform in a timely and efficient manner. Increasing workefficiency and productivity, decreasing workload and production costs,improving accuracy, It’s a technologythat everyone is benefiting from . Whether drones are controlled by a remote oraccessed via a smartphone app, they possess the capability of reaching the mostremote areas with little to no manpower needed and require the least amount ofeffort, time, and energy. This is one of the biggest reasons why they are beingadopted worldwide, especially by these four sectors: Military, Commercial,Personal, and Future Technology Advantages · Surpassing thetraffic.· Used in dangerous environment.· Environment friendly.
· Using natural energy.· Filming wildlifehas become easier.· Uses in all spheres. Disadvantages· Weather – dronescan run into physical barriers such as wind, birds and air traffic.· Domestic dronesviolate the right to privacy. · Easy to shoot down.· Limited batterypower.
· Too small fortransportation of materials.· GPS signals tendsto drop between tall buildings. Conclusion After looking at multiple articles and going throughnumerous references, I realized that over the coming years we will see anincrease in the production and usage of drones , the government is getting moreinvolved with drones such as firefighting department and aerial surveillancefor traffic monitoring . Furthermore, tv shows , movies and professionalcameramen are now using drones for capturing scenes that are not possible forhuman beings to do by themselves such as high aerial videography. However, fromthe seven generation of drones we can notice the development and the steadyprogress of technology in this sector and this will lead to many opportunitiesin the future.