Carter Cleaning Company Case 1:
- 1) Make a list of five specific HR problems you think Carter Cleaning will have to grapple with. – non-trained stuff therefore low job performance – controlling labor costs – managing wages between those that work in dry cleaning side (skilled) and attendants (unskilled) – high turnovers – HR rules and protections not being followed
- 2) What would you do first if you were Jennifer? If I were in Jennifer’s shoes the first thing I would do is meet with her father and discuss about how everything HR related was done in the company before she came.
Then I would hold a meeting for all of the employees to introduce myself and ask them about their concerns or wants. Then I would analyze the data and map e a strategic plan on how I can motivate the managers to motivate their staffs, how to train new and old employees to make work done more efficiently , and establish a recruiting process.
After speaking with managers and her father about what the employees need to be successful I would then run an add for a hiring event, to have candidates come in to the stores and see what motivates them to work.Make a list of 5 specific HR problems you think Carter Cleaning will have to grapple with? Potential answers could include the following:1) Staffing the company with the right human capital by identifying the skills and competencies that arerequired to perform the jobs and the type of people that should be hired. Sourcing candidates andestablishing an efficient and effective recruiting and selection process will be an important first step. ) Planning and establishing operational goals and standards and developing rules and procedures tosupport business goals and strategies.
Failure to do so will result in a lack of clarity around performanceexpectations down the line as each store becomes operational.
- 3) Implementing effective Performance Management through setting performance standards, highquality appraisal of performance, and providing ongoing performance coaching and feedback to developthe abilities of each person and support positive employee relations.
- 4) Designing an effective compensation system that will give the company the ability to attract, retainand motivate a high quality workforce, providing appropriate wages, salaries, incentives and benefits. Apoorly designed system will result in difficulty in attracting candidates, turnover and low employeemorale.
- 5) Training and developing employees both at the management and employee level to be able toperform the job to meet the performance expectations.
This should include a new hire orientationprogram as well as a program for ongoing training and development. Lack of attention to thiscomponent may result in errors, increase in operational costs, turnover, and morale problems.
1. Make a list of five specific HR problems you think Carter Cleaning will have to grapple with.
- • Sexual Hassament
- • Non-trained staff
- • Poor Manager
- • Probably Law suit
- • Low job performance
2. What would you do first if you were Jennifer?
- • Review the finances to see how the businesses are doing. Then meet with management and the staff.